- Estimates of problem drug users aged 15 to 64, as published by the Information Services Division (ISD) of NHS National Services Scotland - REVISED estimates, as published by ISD on 4 March 2016.
- The 95% Confidence Intervals are the range within which it is expected that the true value will lie. On the basis of statistical theory, there is only a 5% chance that a 95% Confidence Interval will not include the (unknown) true value of the quantity which is being estimated - so, on average, one would expect that 19 out of 20 of all 95% Confidence Intervals will include the (unknown) true values. ISD did not publish confidence intervals for the numbers for each sex or for each age-group.
- The average of the percentage differences between (a) the estimate and the lower end of the 95% Confidence Interval and (b) the estimate and the upper end of the 95% Confidence Interval. It is calculated using the rounded values of the estimate and the two ends.
- These death rates are broad indications only, as (e.g.) the estimated numbers of problem drug users may be subject to wide confidence intervals.
- The 'from' value in the range for the rate is calculated using the upper end of the 95% Confidence Interval for the estimated number of problem drug users, and the 'to' value in the range for the rate is calculated using the lower end of the 95% Confidence Interval for the estimated number of problem drug users.
- The 'female' figure for each age-group has been estimated by subtracting the corresponding 'male' figure from the total for the age-group. ISD did not publish estimates of the number of female problem drug users broken down by age-group because of their potential unreliability.
© Crown Copyright 2017